Working at the Smithsonian
- The Smithsonian has over 660 owned and leased buildings and structures from state-of-the-art
museums and historic buildings to remote field stations and astronomical observatories.
- A staff of architects and engineers oversees new construction and major renovations.
- With 30 million visits to the Institution each year our Building Managers, craftspeople (Electricians, Plumbers, HVAC Mechanics, Painters, Locksmiths) and cleaning crews are kept very busy.
- The Safety and Environmental Management staff (Nurses, Fire Protection Engineers, Industrial Hygienists) ensure a healthy
workplace and a large force of Security Officers, K- 9 teams, electronic security specialists and disaster recovery experts protect
the national treasures in our collections.
- There are also employees who deliver mail, provide audio visual services, drive shuttle buses, and do mechanical work on our
"Working at the Smithsonian"